Thursday, October 18, 2012

House of Lies - FIVE STARS - Mesmerizing


The first ebook I have chosen to review on TrueBlueEbookReview is House of Lies by author S.R.Claridge, published by Vanilla Heart.  The reason I chose this novel is two-fold:  first, because I wanted a new release in the mystery/suspense genre and House of Lies fit that description having been released just this month. (October 2012)  Second, because I was seeking a new release that had yet to be reviewed professionally.  I don’t like to read other reviews until after I have read the book for myself.  Without further explanation, onto my review.

House of Lies is a political cult suspense about a woman who sets out on a mission to save her sister from what appears to be a religious cult group; however, as we move through the novel we discover that the religiosity of the group is merely a cover to hide the real agenda, which is quite political in nature.  An anonymous tip leads her to a private investigator and a cop, who begrudgingly agree to assist her quest.  That’s really all I can say without giving anything away.

This book has it all.  There are plot twists that literally and figuratively take the reader to the edge of their seat and tauntingly leave them there.  There is angst and suspense, action, romance and a little bit of sex.  But, strangely enough, those things aren’t what drive the story.  The character dialogue is the cohesive agent that skyrockets this book to a whole new level of storytelling.  I was so enthralled I felt as if I were watching the story like a movie; that’s how powerfully written is the character interaction.  But it doesn’t stop there.  S.R.Claridge’s ability to tie together past and present events and weave them into a believable storyline is impressive; not to mention this author succeeds at doing something of which most mystery writers fail.   She incorporates humor at precisely the right moments, when the reader needs a release from the mounting tension. 

As I read, I began to wonder if the book, though fiction, held any truth about cult groups and their potential hidden agendas.  I found myself contemplating if the author had once been involved in a group like the one described in House of Lies, and if so how much of what happens in the novel actually happened in real life.  It was a similar feeling to what I had when reading Dan Brown’s DaVinci Code years ago.  In fact, if I had to liken this book to one that is currently on the market, I would say it is The DaVinci Code, and I wouldn't be surprised if we find some controversy developing as word of this book gets out.

I give House of Lies a full five star rating.   If you enjoy suspense novels, you will not be able to put this book down.  Without giving away the ending, I can assure you that a sequel is to follow and I only hope it will be released soon. 
What an exciting way to start off TrueBlueEbookReview!

Believability:  Five Stars

Cohesive Flow:  Five Stars

Characterization:  Five Stars

Dialogue:  Five Stars

House of Lies by S.R.Claridge  -  Overall Rating:  Five Stars
House of Lies is currently available in Ebook at Amazon, Smashwords and Barnes&Noble with a pre-order print date for November 2012.

2 comments:

  1. I feel honored to have had one of my novels chosen as the first book reviewed on True Blue Ebook Review. Thank you for reading House of Lies and for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting review! Thanks so much for the insight and description of this new release. Definitely on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete